- Appleton police seek help from private cameras 5:05am
- UW System head confident about budget 5:04am
- Walker: 'Right to work' should be nationwide 5:03am
- ThedaCare teaching kids healthy habits 5:02am Apr 25
- Brewers come up short in loss to Cardinals 9:28pm
- Team Gasser victorious in Wisconsin's spring football game 5:49pm
Mon, March 31, 2014
Opening Day at Miller Park
The PhilCast will start late Monday so as to bring you coverage of the following annual rite of Spring.
As I tweeted this morning, reporters these days have it made.
Why, back in MY days as a reporter covering opening day at the ballpark, that meant 20 layers of clothes and lots of hot chocolate, because you were going to be walking around the cold parking lot of County Stadium for several hours that morning.
Then, once it was time to go inside, you didn't really go INSIDE like now with a nice cozy roof. You were on the field outside and it was always cold, made worse by the fact that you had been out in the lot for a couple of hours prior.
Then after the field there was no retreat to a modern press box either. Nope. You made your way up to what was called the lodge, where you would take a seat on an ice-cold folding chair and set your arms down on a steely ledge-type tabletop that could keep meat frozen.
Good luck feeling your toes or fingers by the end of the game when the warmth of the locker room finally called.
Today at Miller Park....not so much. I hope the new breed of reporters appreciates what they have.
Still, at the time, there was an excitement about covering Opening Day for me. I have many memories of this day. But perhaps THIS one is the best ever because I was there and felt the electricity.
With two outs in the bottom of the 9th, Sixto Lexcano hits a game-winning Grand Slam to start the 1980 season off in style.
CLICK HERE to watch it again!
Good luck Brewers.
- Brewers defeat the Cardinals 4:28pm Apr 25
- Bucks down Bulls in Game 4 on Bayless GW 7:49pm Apr 24
- Brewers Shut Out Again, fall to 3-14 10:32pm
- No. 9 Kimberly blanks No. 10 Hortonville 10-0 (AUDIO) 9:40am
- High School Sports Schedule for Friday, April 24th 9:32am
- High School Sports Scores: Thursday, April 23rd 7:17am
I'll discuss on the show.... The bacon-wrapped, deep-fried Oreo...It's a thing. Question is, would you eat it? At least try…
posted by Philcast 6 days ago
"Dishwasher Safe" usually refers to dishes that can go into your dishwasher. In this case, I have a list of…
posted by Philcast 7 days ago