- G.B. captain accepts Appleton chief position 1:05pm
- Agreement reached on Kimberly project 1:04pm
- DNR changing deer registration next year 1:03pm
- Police ask hunters to watch for missing man 1:02pm
- Sen. Johnson reacts to Obama immigration action 1:01pm
- Cost of Thanksgiving dinner slighlty higher 1:00pm
Mon, March 31, 2014
Opening Day at Miller Park
The PhilCast will start late Monday so as to bring you coverage of the following annual rite of Spring.
As I tweeted this morning, reporters these days have it made.
Why, back in MY days as a reporter covering opening day at the ballpark, that meant 20 layers of clothes and lots of hot chocolate, because you were going to be walking around the cold parking lot of County Stadium for several hours that morning.
Then, once it was time to go inside, you didn't really go INSIDE like now with a nice cozy roof. You were on the field outside and it was always cold, made worse by the fact that you had been out in the lot for a couple of hours prior.
Then after the field there was no retreat to a modern press box either. Nope. You made your way up to what was called the lodge, where you would take a seat on an ice-cold folding chair and set your arms down on a steely ledge-type tabletop that could keep meat frozen.
Good luck feeling your toes or fingers by the end of the game when the warmth of the locker room finally called.
Today at Miller Park....not so much. I hope the new breed of reporters appreciates what they have.
Still, at the time, there was an excitement about covering Opening Day for me. I have many memories of this day. But perhaps THIS one is the best ever because I was there and felt the electricity.
With two outs in the bottom of the 9th, Sixto Lexcano hits a game-winning Grand Slam to start the 1980 season off in style.
CLICK HERE to watch it again!
Good luck Brewers.
- No. 3 Badgers too much for Boise St. 11:52pm
- Badgers knock off the Hawkeyes 6:28pm
- Marquette suffers loss to Nebraska-Omaha 3:43pm Nov 20
- Little Chute falls in division 4 state football championship 9:33pm
- High School Sports Schedule: Thursday, November 20th 8:03am Nov 19
- #3 Badgers Cruise Past UWGB 84-60 10:55pm
Yes, it's a rare SATURDAY blog posting here from me. I'm up early on a Saturday in late November, and…
posted by Philcast 1 day ago
Friday, Dec. 12th PhilCast show. LIVE from the Outer Edge Stage in Appleton. 303 Oneida St. No reservations. No tickets…
posted by Philcast 2 days ago