- Suspect held in 2012 Brown Co. murder case 3:30pm
- Prof: Walker should choose words more carefully 1:05pm
- CVB details competition for expo center 1:04pm
- Event focuses on African-American race relations 1:03pm
- Valley VNA takes new approach to shortage 1:02pm
- Thousands expected at fishing tournament 1:01pm
Mon, March 31, 2014
Opening Day at Miller Park
The PhilCast will start late Monday so as to bring you coverage of the following annual rite of Spring.
As I tweeted this morning, reporters these days have it made.
Why, back in MY days as a reporter covering opening day at the ballpark, that meant 20 layers of clothes and lots of hot chocolate, because you were going to be walking around the cold parking lot of County Stadium for several hours that morning.
Then, once it was time to go inside, you didn't really go INSIDE like now with a nice cozy roof. You were on the field outside and it was always cold, made worse by the fact that you had been out in the lot for a couple of hours prior.
Then after the field there was no retreat to a modern press box either. Nope. You made your way up to what was called the lodge, where you would take a seat on an ice-cold folding chair and set your arms down on a steely ledge-type tabletop that could keep meat frozen.
Good luck feeling your toes or fingers by the end of the game when the warmth of the locker room finally called.
Today at Miller Park....not so much. I hope the new breed of reporters appreciates what they have.
Still, at the time, there was an excitement about covering Opening Day for me. I have many memories of this day. But perhaps THIS one is the best ever because I was there and felt the electricity.
With two outs in the bottom of the 9th, Sixto Lexcano hits a game-winning Grand Slam to start the 1980 season off in style.
CLICK HERE to watch it again!
Good luck Brewers.
- Bucks Offense Struggles Again on West Coast Trip 10:52pm
- Lakers slip past the Bucks 12:00am Feb 27
- High School Sports Schedule for Friday, February 27th 9:40am
- High School Sports Scores: Thursday, February 27th 5:48am Feb 26
- High School Sports Schedule for Thursday, February 26th 5:47am
- Packers Release Hawk 5:38am
Today it's what color is the dress? Yesterday it was Llama Drama. What will tomorrow bring on the Wild West…
posted by Philcast 2 days ago
In 15-years of radio, I may have received one of my favorite press releases ever, today. Tom Neises, one of…
posted by Justin Hull 3 days ago